Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Monday, May 4, 2009

Dwarf Lousewort-Pedicularis centranthera

This dramatic flower in the Figwort Family (Scrophulariaceae) can easily be missed because it grows so low to the ground and is a late spring bloomer that disappears in a few weeks. It has the lousy name of Dwarf Lousewort (Pedicularis centranthera). Such an interesting-looking flower should have a better common name. 

As you can see in this photo with my fingers for scale, the pink and white flowers are quite small. The leaves grow in a basal rosette (close to the ground and all around the flower) and are deeply serrated.

Here's a view from about waist level. The colors of the leaves and flowers don't stand out much against the pine-needle strewn ground. This one was growing under a pinyon pine tree.

I knew to be on the lookout for it because I saw it mentioned on Silver Fox's blog a couple weeks ago as showing up in Central Nevada, but I have to admit that I didn't see it until my way down the trail--I missed it going up.

For more information about Dwarf Lousewort, click here.

1 comment:

John W. Wall said...

Pretty little thing. We have a bigger lousewort with another, nicer, name: Indian warrior.

BTW, I believe this genus has been moved into Orobanchaceae. Hard to keep up with the taxonomists....