Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Spreading Fleabane-Erigeron divergens

I was excited when I found this flower on 4/24/09 at about 5,300 feet, because it was on my jogging route and hadn't been there a few days previously. I recognized it immediately as a member of the Sunflower Family (Asteraceae), and in particular as a fleabane (Erigeron). Figuring it out after that wasn't nearly so easy, but I believe it is a Spreading Fleabane, also called diffuse daisy, diffuse fleabane, fleabane daisy, and more (Erigeron divergens).

The Erigerons have yellow disk flowers and white, pink, or purple ray flowers. 

The green leaves are fairly hairy.

The calyx is also hairy and supports many ray flowers.

A close-up of the hairy leaves.

For more information about spreading fleabane, click here.

No comments: