Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Thursday, April 30, 2009

American vetch-Vicia americana

When I saw this flower, I knew immediately the plant was in the Pea Family (Fabaceae), and I guessed it might be an Astragalus. But I had to look closer.

What I saw was that at the end each leaf, there wasn't a leaflet, but rather these tendrils, making this instead a Vicia, in particular American milkvetch, also called common milkvetch,or wild pea  (Vicia americana). 

After flowering, the plant will produce pods that contain a couple of pea-like seeds.

This widespread plant can be variable in size and shape of flowers and leaves. The leaves on these specimens were broader than some of the other photos I've seen on the Internet.

The Vicia was growing in patches on a rocky hillside. To learn more about milkvetch, click here.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Glad it isn't crown vetch! http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/Crown_vetch.pdf