Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nevada Biscuitroot-Lomatium nevadense

We're going to go back to the early-blooming Carrot Family (Apiaceae) today, and even back to a genus we saw earlier in the week, Lomatium. This low-growing plant is easy to identify with its highly dissected leaves and small form. This beautiful white flower with purple highlights is Nevada Biscuitroot, also called Nevada parsley and Nevada lomatium (Lomatium nevadense). 

I couldn't find much information online about it, but there's a little here.

I also found a similar looking plant with seed pods already forming. By the leaves I first thought it was a lomatium, but after looking carefully at a key and some photos, I think it's more likely to be a cymopterus. I will try to hunt down what it is. I thought the seed pods were interesting enough to include now before I have a definitive identification.


1 comment:

John W. Wall said...

With a name like biscuit root, you wonder if it's edible.