Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Monday, April 25, 2011

Spiny Phlox - Phlox hoodii

Photobucket
This little phlox, growing in mounds out in the sagebrush, was really common at about 6500 feet, yet I've never noticed it until this year! I guess it just goes to show that observing wildflowers can be a long-time passion!

This is spiny phlox (Phlox hoodii), also called carpet phlox by some. It's found throughout most of western North America and can be white or pink. It often blooms right after the snow melts (which is perhaps the reason I haven't seen it before--I was afraid of getting stuck on muddy roads!).

Photobucket
In the photo above, you can see the long corolla tube extending from the pointy, cobwebby leaves. For lots more info about spiny phlox, click here.

p.s. What do you think of this larger photo size on the blog? I've been experimenting and am not sure what I like best yet.

No comments: