Shrubs     White     Pink/Red     Blue/Purple    Yellow   Nonnative

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cushion Buckwheat - Eriogonum ovalifolium

When I was uploading these photos I found I had some from last year, like the one above. It's been difficult finding new flowers for this blog, but what I have found is that I have some photos of species that I haven't yet identified, some due to time, some due to difficulty.

Nevertheless, this little white puffball has now found its way onto this blog. It's cushion buckwheat (Eriogonum ovalifolium), a member of the Buckwheat Family (Polygonaceae).

The buds are quite pink, then the flowers are usually white, but get pinker with age. The leaves are distinctive, with their wavy pattern.

The species name ovalifolium is Latin for oval-shaped. Cushion buckwheat grows in western North America and has about 11 varieties.

For more information about cushion buckwheat, click here.

No comments: